BIOS - Building a Dream Team in Orthoptics
FREE WORKSHOP FOR ALL BIOS MEMBERS
1st July 2014 1000- 1600
**Registration and networking from 0930**
Venue details - Post Graduate lecture room, 3rd Floor
Western Eye Hospital, 171, Marylebone Road, London NW1 5QH
nearest tubes stations: Marylebone, Edgware Road, Baker Street.
Themes the profession needs to tackle in 2014:
Members from any branch can attend any session.
- Changes to healthcare systems and bringing on talent from within the profession/departments
- Creating opportunities for communication and to raise concerns
- Dignity at work – follow up to e-learning module
- Taking action locally and regionally to ensure sustainable Orthoptic services
Who are the sessions for? - all BIOS and BOSTU members can attend all of the session (particularly relevant for heads, deputies and orthoptists with a personal development plan to become a team leader for morning session and ALL for afternoon)
MORNING 10am – 1pm
Introduction and scene-setting
- Why the workshops this year? Why team building & leadership is important at all levels. What does this mean in practice and who is responsible for demonstrating it?
- What the BIOS membership survey tells us this year – your feedback to us about face to face workshops
What’s going to have an impact on Orthoptics and Orthoptists this year?
- Who is buying and planning Orthoptic services in your region/country? How can you get more involved?
- Setting the scene - NHS update, Systems, Themes – Better Care Fund + Everyone Counts: Putting the Patient First, Opportunities & Threats (BIOS Chair/Chair Designate)
- Regional/Country update - including relevant local networks
- External/invited speaker- relevant to NHS England
How we are leading innovation and development
Your department - succession planning, new graduate career planning, NHS Leadership Framework , current best practice leadership
- Professional update - extended roles, advanced practitioner, theatre assistants, single handed glaucoma, BIOS Innovation projects, outcomes and value-based measures (LAB/AMc)
- Service delivery changes - move to community based services, telehealth projects and private providers e.g. i-Van Glaucoma Services, New Medica (LAB/AMc + local examples from local Chair Committee/ Innovation fund winners)
Action planning – what your next actions should be to engage with key influencers in your system – inside and outside of your workplace.
AFTERNOON 2pm – 4pm
Creating opportunities for communication and for raising concerns
- Why this is a key issue – consequences of ignoring good communication practice
- Team meetings, one to one sessions and being aware of issues
- What our BIOS survey told is happening in Orthoptic Departments from 270 members
Following up on e-learning – Dignity at Work
- Dignity at Work – key messages and reinforcement of messages
- What BOSTU members said locally
- Local BOSTU members talk about their own situation
Action planning – what can all types of Orthoptic staff learn from this module (managers, deputies, reps, team members, assistants etc) and add to their CPD and day to day working relations?
The course will be run by the local BIOS Branch Chair & Secretary, Lesley-Anne Baxter, Chair, BIOS & BOSTU, Rowena McNamara, BIOS & BOSTU Chair Designate and Anita McCallum, BIOS & BOSTU Business Manager. All are experienced trainers and facilitators and run courses for training providers such as NHS Employers and the Chartered Management Institute (CMI). Lesley-Anne was non-medical clinical lead for ophthalmology in a department of 68 people and has been BIOS Chair for the past 4 years. Rowena works at three Trusts in England and is a Department Head with a special interest in education. Anita is a Fellow of the CMI, works for the NHS as an interim and was a non-executive director at an Acute Trust.
Free to BIOS members/others £45
Buffet lunch & refreshments included
Delegates: max. 35
Please register to attend. And indicate any dietary or access requirements. Cancellations maybe made up to two weeks before the event, if you discover that you cannot attend after that time, you may send another similar delegate in your place.