BIOS Scientific Conference 2014
Glasgow Caledonian University, 20/21 August
BOOKINGS CLOSED 5pm 1st AUGUST
FINAL CONFERENCE PROGRAMME
Glasgow Conference Programme Aug2014.pdf
DELEGATE INFORMATION PACK
Delegate_info_pack_SciConf_Glasgow_August 2014.pdfSpeakers include
- Dr Paul Cauchi, Consultant Ophthalmologist, Gartnavel Hospital, Glasgow - Thyroid Eye Disease
- Dr Graeme Williams, Consultant Ophthalmologist, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde - Ocular Myasthenia
- Prof Anita Simmers - Visual Function in Amblyopia
Please note that cancellations for the event or elements of the event will not be accepted after 1st August in order to enable the organisers to resell your place.
Tuesday 19th August - The social programme includes a 60-75 minute walking tour of Glasgow http://www.gsa.ac.uk/visit-gsa/city-walking-tours/visitor-feedback/. We then end the evening with an informal meal at a local restaurant (payable locally on the night) for those arriving on the evening of the 19th August (**please arrive by 530pm for a 6pm departure from campus). The talented walking guides reveal Glasgow's vibrant arts scene and bring architecture alive with the story of Mackintosh's Glasgow!
On the night of Wednesday 20th August there will be a gala dinner, with drinks reception, canapes and 2-course meal with wine, and entertainment from the Kennedy Cupcakes http://www.kennedycupcakes.com/. Venue: House for an Art Lover
Some of your feedback from last year -
- Great idea to have an awards ceremony at the Gala Dinner and acknowledge work done by volunteers helping the Society.
- Excellent conference - even the weather was good!
- Enjoyed the SIG Group sessions and feel conference is a good time for discussion and feedback.
- A really good meeting and great to see so many Orthoptists delivering the presentations
We are using the single ensuite accommodation available at Caledonian Court (£45 per night) which provides exceptional value for money, within walking distance of the conference venue and Glasgow City Centre. The flats are wired for the internet.
There are many alternatives if you wish to spend more, which can be booked separately by you if required.
Glasgow City Marketing Bureau have kindly made available local offers which can be seen here http://conventions.seeglasgow.com/attending-a-conference/special-offers/
and this guide http://conferenceuk.peoplemakeglasgow.com/
By air - Glasgow Airport is situated approximately 10 miles to the west of the City Centre and the University - approximately 30 minutes by taxi. There is also a direct bus link from the airport to Buchanan Street Bus Station, which is 200 yards from the University.
Taxi discount via Glasgow Taxis - Delegates can pre book a taxi by calling +44 (0) 141 429 7070 and quoting the appropriate code:
· Journeys from Glasgow International Airport to the Glasgow city centre – quote CM7
· Journeys from Glasgow city centre to Glasgow International
Airport – quote CM5
Each journey will be £17, saving you 20% on the usual fare
By road - The University is easily accessible from Junction 16 (Westbound) or Junctions 15 & 17 (Eastbound) of the M8 motorway. Although no parking is available on campus, there is ample space available at the nearby Buchanan Galleries car park.
By rail - The campus is within easy walking distance of both Glasgow Queen Street Station (there is a direct rail link to Edinburgh from here) and Glasgow Central Station. For details of train times, visit the National Rail Enquiries Service.
If you are a potential sponsor for the event, please go to this page.
Splitting payment with your employer
If your employer wishes to pay your registration fee direct, please let the BIOS office know (email email@example.com or call +44 (0)1353 66 55 41). We will arrange for the registration part of your invoice to be split out and transferred onto your employer's account.* Once that has happened, your invoice will then be reissued to you in the lower amount.
* Your employer may insist on issuing a purchase order to cover your registration: if so, it is your responsibility to start and follow up this process.