Special Interest Group Study Day
Derbyshire County Cricket Club
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
Join us in the First SIG Day designed to investigate the developing roles of technology in our work place.
Places are limited - so book soon!
- How does the implementation of EPR Impact a department and how can we make systems meet our needs?
- The next generation of patients expects the NHS to advance alongside technology – how can we embrace this new era?
The morning will concentrate on:
- Implementation of EPR and what benefits such systems can have in terms of audit and evidence based practice.
- Advancements in data protection
- Description of Skype clinic in practice at Derby ( not orthoptic)
- Brief introduction on Apps
Workshops in the afternoon will concentrate on:
- The use of Apps in clinic, how to best assess their functionality, ease of use etc… And developing a central database within BIOS to grade such Apps
- The introduction of EPR – can we develop a centralised blue print for all orthoptic departments to use which would allow better integration nationally of our services.
WE NEED THE SUPPORT OF THE ORTHOPTIC PROFESSION TO MAKE THESE ADVANCEMENTS SO PLEASE JOIN US AT THE STUDY DAY!
Why you should attend...
- Many NHS initiatives involve summary and e-patient records (EPR) – by 2018: how far down the line is your department?
- Which Apps can you use for your work as an orthoptist for patient benefit and to reduce costs in the NHS?
- Can orthoptics be done at a distance to save patients travelling to hospital – by telehealth – like Skype?
- E-health - gets us better known and recognised as a profession and enables us to identify and charge for specific orthoptic treatments and procedures
9.50—10.00 Introduction— BIOS SIG Leads
10.00—10.30 Melanie Waszkiel, University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust: Staff impressions on Implementation of EPR
- Qualified as an Orthoptist from Liverpool University in 1997. She worked as a Clinical Tutor in Optometry at Auckland University and as Orthoptic Clinical Training Manager in Birmingham and Coventry before joining the Health Informatics team at Morecambe Bay. The Trust was the first to deploy the Lorenzo Electronic Patient Record and Melanie was part of the project team rolling out Paperlite working.
10.30—11.00 Use of SKYPE in a clinical setting—Chris Swan, Renal Unit (TBC)
11.15—11.45 Woodhouse—Information Governance
11.45—12.15 Katrina Cooke, Specialist Orthoptist, Lead Stroke & Paediatric Low Vision Orthoptist, Torbay General Hospital : Review of Apps survey, our expectations and needs
12.15—12.30 Demonstrations from sponsors
- App database development and scoring system
- Strategies for the implementation of EPR
BIOS Members £35/Non members £50
About the venue: There is free parking at the cricket club
The price includes refreshments and lunch on the day, but EXCLUDES overnight accommodation or travel costs. Cancellations maybe made up to two weeks before the event, if you discover that you cannot attend. After that time, you may send another similar delegate in your place - but no refunds can be made.